Friday, July 27, 2007

In the Beginning . . .


Well, I've wanted to do this forever. There are several arenas for criticism (dictionary says the American spelling should be criticizm, I dunno) about the major blockbuster art exhibits, and even a few forums (oh jeez, should it be forae?) for discussion about exhibits at the larger history and natural history museums. But the vast majority of the museums in America are small local history organizations, and I have very rarely seen any discussion about the exhibits and interpretive programming created by these small places. And I don't think I've ever seen true criticism (maybe I'll fix on that spelling) of these exhibits and programs. I love what we all do so much - and I like to think about it and talk about it. Don't you think those of us who work in the smaller places could really benefit and grow from objective criticism of our work? I do.

My hope is that I'll write about what I see and think, and that you'll respond and disagree or agree with me, and that you'll add your own criticism of exhibits and interpretive programming that you've seen. And that's my one major criteria for posts and comments on the blog:

** I - and you - have to have actually seen the exhibits or interpretative work criticized here**

I've been out of school for years, and can rarely afford to attend any major conferences. I'll just use my own ideas and language - and if it's been said before, forgive me and tell me about who and when and what. Let's all learn together.

Up next (when I can find my notes) - a discussion and criticizm of a session at the Spring 2007 Minnesota Museum Association conference and a related outdoor exhibit.

1 comment:

minnesotaMasonic said...

Awaiting your next. Don't delay.